Lawyers With Style: Carolyn Rosenberg
Carolyn Rosenberg, pictured with her mother.
Photos by David Durochik.
Carolyn Rosenberg, a partner in Reed Smith's global insurance recovery group, represents corporate policyholders, directors and officers in insurance coverage disputes and advises clients on ways to enhance their insurance policies to maximize coverage. She's also on the firm's executive and talent committees and serves as audit committee chairwoman.
1. What's your favorite store to shop for work clothes?
You should ask my mother! I outsource, and she's my personal shopper. I wear clothes from many stores, including Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Neiman Marcus and Forever 21.
2. If you are meeting with a new client or have your first day in court or at a transactional meeting, what's your favorite "power outfit"?
A tailored suit or jacket and skirt with a sharp "pow" accessory.
3. What brand is your watch?
Raymond Weil — I've had it for 20 years.
4. In one or two words, how would you describe your style?
5. What do you wear on weekends?
I'm always on the go, so it changes constantly from jeans to dressy.
6. What's your favorite brand of jeans?
DKNY and Gap.
7. Whose style do you admire?
My mother. She is always dressed beautifully and lives by the motto, "If you look good, you feel good."
8. What was the first expensive piece of clothing that you purchased when you became a lawyer?
I've never changed habits. I still love and wear a classic black pantsuit I bought years ago that I can dress up or down each season with a great pin, chic scarf, belt or fun top.
9. What is your No. 1 style pet peeve?
Wearing too short, too tight, inappropriate clothes that may be trendy but don't fit.
10. Who is your favorite designer?
I'm eclectic but probably Ralph Lauren over the years.
11. What is your favorite accessory?
A beautiful, black cashmere shawl my husband gave me as a gift. I would never indulge for myself, and it is super for travel.
12. What's your favorite brand of shoes and purse?
Shoes: Salvatore Ferragamo. I have long, narrow feet and these not only fit, they keep up with my fast walking. Purse: Ralph Lauren. I buy a bag I can hold or sling over my shoulder to last all season.
13. What accessory are you most sentimental about?
A garnet ring my parents gave me for my Sweet 16 birthday. I've worn it every day since and it reminds me of my father, who died suddenly of a heart attack when I was a junior in college.
14. What advice do you have for a lawyer trying to improve his or her professional style?
Wear what looks good on you. Keep it simple and focus on your best attributes.
15. Why should lawyers care about their style?
It's part of the total package. Your brains and talent are key, but style and panache are that extra "umph."